Quarter 1 Test
This will be a demonstration of your understanding of the topics covered in Version Control Level 3, Troubleshooting/Debugging Level 2, and HTTP/API Levels 1 & 2.
Part 1: live demo with instructor or TA
Download the files from this repository to your own machine (download the .zip files, don't clone it.) Open the
q1t-master folder in your editor and launch the index page to view it.
You are a junior developer on a team, and one of the senior developers comes to you and says "I made this little game website for my kids this morning, but there seems to be some errors in the code. I don't have time to fix it right now, could you please fix the problems for me?"
- Run the code and fix the bug(s) until it works correctly.
- Note: Once the student has fixed the errors to the point where the empty squares appear on the screen below the colored boxes, explain the following: The developer comes back to you and says "oh, by the way, this is a simple painting application. You click the colored box at the top of the screen to set the color, then click an empty box below to paint it that color. You should also be able to just press the number on your keyboard to set the paint color."
- Create a new local git repository in the
q1t-masterfolder you downloaded and commit your code.
- Once it's working completely, create a new remote repository on your own GitHub account (name it
- Add a remote url to the new local repo to point to your remote repo.
- Push your code to the new repository.
The instructor will gauge your skill in completing the above tasks, the successful completion of which will pass off:
- Version Control, Level 3
- Troubleshooting/Debugging Level 2
Part 2: Technical interview
The instructor/TA will ask you to answer the following questions:
- What is HTTP? What does it stand for and what is it?
- What are "protocols"?
- What are the 4 main HTTP methods/verbs? What does CRUD stand for? How do they match up with each other?
- What is an API?
- What is Postman used for?
- What is an IP address? What is it used for?
- What is a server? What does it mean to "run a local server"?
Successfully answering these questions will pass off:
- HTTP/APIs Level 1 & 2
- Deployment Level 2
Retaking the test
If for some reason you're not able to complete either of the above parts, you will have another chance to pass off this level at a later time in the near future (probably Monday), and will be required to meet with a mentor or tutor to prepare for retaking the test.