What does this mean?
Node has a vast community of contributors and a large amount of packages available via the Node Package Manager (NPM). Node is one of the most contributed to programs in the world.
There are certain requirements we need in a system in order to create a web server:
- Better ways to organize our code into reusable pieces
- Ways to deal with files
- Ways to deal with databases
- Ability to communicate over the internet
- Ability to accept requests and send responses (in a consistent and standard way)
- Way to deal with work that takes a long time
The creators of Node.js added APIs that allow it to accomplish all of the above requirements. The full API documentation can be found at nodejs.org/api/. Any aspiring Node.js developer should read through the Node.js documentation extensively to become familiar with the tools that are available at your disposal.